As a translation agency, we talk a lot about numbers: number of words, number of minutes, number of pages, number of files. We use these quantities to calculate price and turnaround, to determine which projects to go to which project manager, and to decide what to assign to which linguist. Last year we translated over 7 million words, transcribed over 75,000 minutes of audio and delivered over 7500 projects (in over 75 languages!). We’re proud of our numbers — but they only tell a small part of the story.
What’s the impact behind those numbers? Whose voices do we share? Who do we help — and what do we help get done?
At a team meeting recently, we asked our staff to share some of the highlights of recent projects. Here’s a sampling of the impact we made through a number of different translation and transcription projects:
- Helped ease the transition to living in the U.S. for newly resettled Farsi- and Swahili- speaking refugees by translating intake forms and materials
- Supported social workers, case manager and families of abuse victims by translating case materials in several languages
- Transcribed interviews that supported government-funded research on reuniting Syrian refugee families displaced by the current crisis
- Translated certificates that helped a man help his mother, whose husband had passed away, move to the U.S. to live with him permanently
- Helped keep non-English speaking employees safer on the job by translating workplace safety manuals and training modules
- Translated documents for a Ukrainian woman to reunite her with her mother and allow for them to live together in the same country
- Supported focus group research on insomnia that could potentially lead to creation of an online therapy resource for a community of sufferers
- Created affordable housing surveys for non-English speaking residents to gather feedback that will influence the development of future housing
- Translated materials related to a case supporting exploited Hispanic workers in the food industry
Sometimes we get so focused on the details of a project that we forget to look up from our computer screens and think about the impact of what we’re doing. We provide translation, transcription, voiceover, subtitling and interpretation services for a wide array of clients across a variety of industries. But regardless of the industry, there’s something important about each project. Each time we help clients understand and connect with their audiences. Each time we walk a client through a process that, from the outside, seems intimidating. Each time we deliver a project faster than expected. Each time we talk about the importance of cultural nuance in translation. And each time we chat with a client about their favorite soccer team or bottle of wine they enjoyed over the weekend…
We love the connections we create with our clients and linguists, and we love knowing that we’re helping you create connections that are important to your professional or personal life.
We feel lucky that we get to work in an industry that we’re passionate about, and we’re proud of the impact—large or small—that we make every day.
Talk to us about how we can make an impact where it matters to you!